A UK-based Hong Kong-run YouTube channel has responded to Hong Kong police’s accusations that they were defrauding four fugitives for a fee to flee the city – including a young protester who was shot while demonstrating in 2019 – but admitted they took their shots. More than one million Hong Kong dollars to fund the Quartet’s expenses.
It comes after senior supervisor Steve Lee of the police’s Department of National Security said Thursday that in 2020, members of a social media channel persuaded suspects involved in the 2019 protests who were waiting for court hearings to flee the city.
He added that the four paid the group 400,000 Hong Kong dollars in advance to try to secure an exit from Hong Kong.
Various local media later named the group as the popular YouTube channel Tuesdayroad Media, which has over 400,000 subscribers.
Two YouTubers on the channel posted a video on Friday in which they confirmed they had not blackmailed the four, aged 16 to 24, who were arrested for not following court orders to surrender to custody on Wednesday.
They were trying to escape from the city to Taiwan but were caught at Wong Shek Pier in Sai Kung.
“How can we blackmail them from thousands of kilometers away?” YouTube users said.
Instead, the couple said they spent more than HK$1 million on the four, including their accommodation, having someone cook for them and buying video games for them because they had been staying in safe houses for two years.
One of the four fugitives who said they helped them was Tsang Chi Kin, who was an 18-year-old high school student when a police officer shot him in the chest at point blank range during the National Day protests in Tsuen Wan. in 2019.
After recovering from the injury, the police accused him of assaulting a police officer and rioting.
He did not appear in court in December 2020, after which an arrest warrant was issued.